Kenton Pointe Assisted Living

Find Your New Place in Life!

Common Questions About Assisted Living

What services and arrangements are provided by an assisted living community?

Kentucky regulations require assisted living communities to provide each resident with a personal living unit that includes a lockable door and a private bathroom.  At Kenton Pointe, we also offer assistance with the basic activities of daily life.  This includes bathing, grooming, dressing, eating, administering medications, and toileting.  Meals, housekeeping, transportation, laundry and clerical services are also available.  Residents are free to arrange health care services with any outside agency or individual, subject to any related policy of the assisted living community.


Is Kenton Pointe’s community the same as a nursing home?

No.  Assisted living communities are defined and regulated differently from nursing homes, although some of the same services are provided. For example, both assisted living communities and nursing homes can provide assistance with activities of daily life.  Nursing homes, however, can directly deliver health care services, while a resident of an assisted living community must directly arrange those services with an outside individual. Generally speaking, assisted living communities offer more privacy and independence, because each client has a separate living unit with a lockable door, and a private bathroom.  Kenton Pointe even offers individual thermostat control.


Are assisted living services the same in every state?

No. Each state has a different definition of assisted living.


Who regulates assisted living communities in Kentucky ?

Kentucky’s Department for Aging and Independent Living conducts certification reviews annually, or as often as needed.  These reviews evaluate each assisted living community to determine compliance with the applicable laws and regulations.


Can any business call itself an assisted living community?

No. Kentucky law prohibits any business that hasn’t filed for, or received, assisted living community certification from the Kentucky Department for Aging and Independent Living from marketing itself as an assisted living community.


Do I have to share a living unit with another client?

No.  However, you can request to share a living unit with a spouse or another individual under mutual agreement.


Do I have to sign any legal papers?

Yes.  Every assisted living community in Kentucky is required under law to provide you with a lease agreement for your thorough review, which then must be signed. This lease agreement addresses all provisions, policies, rights, responsibilities and protections for both the client and the assisted living facility.


Will Kenton Pointe provide me with transportation to my doctor, hairdresser, etc.?

Yes.  Assisted living communities in Kentucky are required to provide assistance with transportation.  Carefully read the lease agreement to determine how and when transportation is provided, and if there is an additional fee.


Can someone help me take my medication?

Yes, to an extent.  Employees of an assisted living facility can, at your request, assist you in self-administering your own medication. In other words, they can remind you to take your medication, read labels, help open your medication containers and help store your medication. However, employees can’t touch the actual medication, determine or administer dosages, give injections or advise you about the appropriateness of your medication. You must directly arrange with an outside agency or individual to receive those services, such as your pharmacist, doctor, home health agency or another qualified person of your choice.


Can I bring furniture and furnishings for my living unit?

Yes.  At Kenton Pointe, we encourage our residents to bring their own furnishings and keepsakes!  We want you to be at home with us.


What determines the cost of living in an assisted living community?

The cost of living in an assisted living community will usually depend on the size/type of your living unit, assistance you need and any additional services you might request. The assisted living community is required to disclose all available services and fees, so you can make an informed decision.


Are the assisted living community employees required to be trained?

Yes.  Kentucky law requires employees to be trained on a variety of key topics applicable to their assigned duties.


Does Kenton Pointe conduct criminal records checks on their employees?

Yes.  Assisted living communities are required to conduct criminal records checks on employee applicants. Many also voluntarily ensure that no employee applicants are listed on Kentucky’s nurse aide abuse registry.


Can Medicare or Medicaid pay for me to live at Kenton Pointe?

No.  Neither Medicare nor Medicaid pays for our services.  You may, however, be able to qualify for coverage if you’re receiving health care services from an outside, licensed health care provider.


Do long-term care insurance policies pay for Kenton Pointe’s services?

Some long-term care insurance policies pay for services in assisted living communities. However, because coverage provisions vary, carefully read and compare policies. For more information, you can contact the Kentucky Department of Insurance toll-free (800-595-6053, ext. 4226) to request a copy of their guide for selecting a long term care insurance policy.


Will I ever have to move out of the assisted living community?

Possibly.  Kentucky law requires that each resident is ambulatory, or mobile non-ambulatory, such as someone who is about to get around with a walker or a wheelchair without assistance.  This is for the residents’ own protection, as it ensures that everyone could exit the building in case of emergency.  Additionally, a resident may not live at Kenton Pointe if he or she poses a danger to his or her self,  or to others.  Last, a resident who is unable to continue paying for services must be given at least a 30-day notice by the assisted living community before being required to leave the facility.  In the case that Kenton Point does issue a move-out notice, we will provide provisions for assisting the resident to find appropriate living arrangements before the actual move-out date.


Where can I get more information about Kenton Pointe Assisted Living?

If you have a questions about living at Kenton Pointe,  please contact us at, or call (606) 759-4050.

If you are interested in pursuing a career with us, please contact


Where can I get more information about assisted living communities in Kentucky?

Consumers can contact the Kentucky Department for Aging and Independent Living by phone at (502) 564-6930, or by going online to  You may also contact the Kentucky Assisted Living Facilities Association toll-free at (877) 905-2001 or at